您的位置 首页 初中英语培训

双语美文:接线员的小硬币

When I was 19十九岁的时候

I legally immigrated to the USA.我非法移民到了美国

I left my country on Mother’s day 1963.1963年的母亲节,我离开了故土

Circumstances were such that我的处境如此糟糕

I for a short time有一小段时间里

became homeless我无家可归

but then found a job后来我找到一份工作

in East Los Angeles.在旧金山东部

I was able to live in one of their staff houses,我在他们提供的一间宿舍住下

went 3 hours to school each night.每天晚上花三个小时的时间走去学校

I had very little money我几乎没什么钱

but felt abundant .却感到十分富足

Mother’s Day 1964 arrived1964年的母亲节到来了

and I needed to call my Mom in Germany.我想给远在德国的母亲打个电话

I had a little paper sack of quarters我只有几个硬币,用纸包成一个小包

for $12.总共能凑齐12美元

It was a LOT of money for me.这对我来说已经是很大一笔钱了

I walked up 2 streets我走过了两个街区

to a phone booth.才找到一个电话亭

It was a pretty hot day.那时一个十分炎热的日子

Anyway无论如何

I dialed the operator:我接通了接线员

‘How may I help you?’您需要什么服务?

I said我说

I like to call my Mom in Germany.我想给在德国的母亲打个电话

She said她说:

 ‘$ 12 for the first 3 minutes.’最初三分钟12美元

I fed the phone all the quarters I had.我把手中所有的硬币都倒进了电话机里

A.s.a. that happened刚把硬币扔完

I heard the phone ring.我听到了电话提示音

It was my Mom who picked up.是母亲拿起了电话

She was extremely excited她兴奋极了

to hear my voice for the first time in a year.一年以来,还是第一次听到了我的声音

We talked fast and excitedly.我们快速说着话,都很兴奋

After a while she said:过了一会儿她问

‘Child this must be very expensive?’孩子,这很贵吧?

I had forgotten time and space.我已经忘记了世间和空间

We talked on and on.我们继续交谈下去

The call ended通话结束

and all my quarters tumbled out again.我的硬币却都弹了出来

I was stunned.我感到惊讶极了

We had talked for 45 minutes我们谈了45分钟

and this kind operator gave us such amazing present.这个善良的接线员给了我一份这样好的礼物

Thank you.谢谢你

It was only 1 of the many kindnesses I have experienced我曾体会过许多种善良,这只是其中一种

in this wonderful country.在这个神奇的国度

I never asked for anything.我从不曾奢望什么

But because I worked and studied hard,但因为我一直勤劳的工作和学习

people seeing it supported my effords.看到我的努力的人们都来支持我

 

 

关于作者: 英语学习网小编

英语学习小编为大家整理各个年龄阶段的英语学习教程,关注我们让英语学习有趣又轻松!声明:均整理自网络,如有侵权请联系我删除!

热门文章

发表回复